April 13, 2006

Thoughts on Bearded Spurs and Other Oddities

Because I feel incapable of and uninclined towards giving this post a coherent theme, I give you more random thoughts:

-You know it's a grueling close to the season in San Antonio when Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, Brent Barry, Robert Horry and Sean Marks are having a beard-growing contest. Apparently Duncan and Marks have bowed out, which surprises me. I would have thought Marks would be so happy to be included in any kind of team-related activity aside from practice that he would have grown a facial accompaniment that would make God jealous. But obviously I know very little about this sort of thing.

-On the subject of things I know very little about, someone recently re-enacted Game 6 of the '86 World Series on the old Nintendo game RBI Baseball, complete with Vin Scully on the play-by-play. To say that this guy had a smidge of free time on his hands would be an understatement. But rather well done nonetheless.

-Here's a question: Is there ever an instance in which the words "new age" should not be immediately followed by "bullshit"?

-As I continue to ponder just how valuable King Leo was to the Braves all of these years, it has crossed my mind that the biggest problem for the currently horrendous Braves' pitching staff is the psychological loss of not having Leo around. Because with Mazzone's new Orioles currently sporting a 5.06 team ERA, it's not like he's exactly working miracles there yet. So I suppose what I'm saying is that the Braves pitchers need to quit being a bunch of Nancy Boys (should that be capitalized?), stop worrying about the loss of their beloved, mustachioed pitching guru and start focusing more on getting some outs before new pitching coach Roger McDowell is verbally bludgeoned beyond recognition by the no longer friendly citizens of Atlanta.

-In closing, I leave you with my thoughts on Elton Brand's MVP candidacy at SLAMOnline.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home