April 25, 2006

Operation Crack Rock

Ever hear a piece of news that really should be kind of stunning just because it's so serious in nature but in actuality is not surprising in the least because of who it involves?

Well, along those lines, Derek Bell -- the man who brought us "Operation Shutdown" and famously lived on a boat during his stint as a New York Met -- apparently smokes crack rocks. That is, assuming that you, like me, believe that being found with a still warm crack pipe in one's car is appropriate reason to infer that the individual in question was making like Pookie in "New Jack City" and French kissing the proverbial glass dick. Gross image? Yes, well, crack is foul business, my friends. (Or so I hear.)

At any rate, you can bet that in light of this news I have taken down all of my Derek Bell posters (of which I have none). And my son (who does not exist) will no longer be playing with Derek Bell Starting Lineup action figures.

On a completely unrelated side note, in the process of Google News searching for "Derek Bell crack," I came across a headline in the Ottawa Sun that read, "Ex-Jay Bell Found with Crack Pipe," which immediately made me think of Jay Bell being caught with a crack pipe, which for some reason made me happy. Which is as good of a sign as any that it's time to end this particular topic of discussion.
--------------------
-Good to see the Nets win Game 2. Add the Pacers to the short list of teams (Spurs included) that I don't want to see advance any further. The starting lineup including Jeff Foster, Stephen Jackson and Anthony Johnson (along with Jermaine O'Neal and Danny Granger, who I do like watching) has to be the least intriguing of any playoff squad.

-Just watched Barry Bonds hit his second dinger of the year live and basically limp into the dugout after the slowest trot in history as though he had been peppered with buckshot in the right leg. In between innings he disappeared into the clubhouse and somewhat surprisingly returned to play left in the top of the third. The magic of ibuprofen never ceases to amaze!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you say you watched the game "live" do you mean in person or live on tv?

7:37 PM, April 26, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm fairly certain the OCC was watching on television.

The true highlight of that game came when Xavier Nady hit a homer that cleared the left field fence by about a foot -- a ball that most outfielders would have caught fairly easily. But Barry only got about three inches off the ground and couldn't corral it. Nady put the Mets up 2-1 and they eventually won 4-1 (so if this were 1987, he would have been credited with a GW RBI).

I can't believe I just wrote as much about this as I did.

12:38 PM, April 27, 2006  
Blogger The OCC said...

Whoops, that was kind of deceptive the way I wrote it. I was watching the game live on television. From this day forth I shall use the less ambiguous term "in person" to indicate that I was in attendance.

In related news, Barry's leg really is going to snap in half one of these days.

1:43 PM, April 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home