December 10, 2005

Pigeon Droppings

Bruce the Intern here. Just received a letter from the OCC via carrier pigeon -- return address unknown. It reads:

Dearest Bruce -- must be brief. Time is short and it is not safe here. I fear I am being watched. Also, they can read my thoughts, but I'm wearing an old bicycle helmet so I think that should buy me some time.

I write because I must chime in on baseball's winter meetings. So much has happened, but quite naturally the transaction that caught my eye beyond all others was the Braves-Red Sox Andy Marte for Edgar Renteria trade. In case I don't make it back, put me down as having said this is a strong move by the Braves. Yes, losing Rafael Furcal -- the only man on the planet capable of making people get out of their seats with a throw from shortstop -- hurts. It hurts a lot. But he was gone the moment he heard the words "13 million a year," as would be any person who has been offered a grossly overblown amount of money in proportion to the services they provide.

At close to half the price the Dodgers will pay Furcal, the Braves get Renteria (the Red Sox are picking up some of Edgar's salary). There's plenty to be worried about considering the year Renteria had last year in Boston, but I see him as being exactly the type of player who thrives in the semi-sleepy environs of Turner Field. And I've never been wrong about predicting a player's performance before (except for about 700 times).

Interestingly enough, the move (or non-move) that seems to be generating even more of a response amongst the Atlanta faithful is the allowed departure of 113-year-old first baseman Julio Franco to the Mets.

I must admit -- I, too am somewhat devastated about losing Senior Julio, whom I call "Senior" quite literally. Not only was the man incredibly adept at losing the grip on his bat and flinging it deep into the stands at the end of his swing, causing countless children and fellow senior citizens unspeakable bodily harm, but for a man who by all rights should be hocking loogies into a spitoon out in the countryside for a living, he can still swing the bat pretty darn well. With all of your blessings, on any and all appearances at Shea Stadium next year, I intend to shout out "Viva la Julio!" as loud as I can any time that scientific and archaeological oddity steps out of the dugout next season and beyond.

Now I must run. In my excitement, I screamed out Julio Franco's name in Hebrew (don't ask), and I fear I may have been detected.

Until next time --

3 Comments:

Blogger jimmyrad said...

My feelings have been well documented on this deal. To be brief: I don't think Renteria is any better than what he showed in Boston, and I use his last year in St. Louis to call it a continuing trend rather than a fluke year.

I also believe Andy Marte will be getting All-Star vote in 4 years. Yes, that is a long time away, but I'm not happy we parted with him. He's recieved the minor league award (or gold glove, not sure what they call it in the minors) for best defensive 3rd baseman 4 years straight. Add onto that his penchance for hitting 20 jacks at every level he's played at, and I think he has a chance to be a Scott Rolen clone with a little less pop. Maybe 20-25 homers, rather than 30-35. Chipper, quite possibly, is the worst defensive 3rd baseman of his generation. A move back to leftfield will happen if we have any sort of 3rd baseman to replace him with, but now we don't. So now we have an awful defensive left-side. Renteria isn't awful, I guess, but he sure looked it last year.

I will miss Julio greatly. The Mets are on crack to give him a 2-year deal. But I kind of wish the Braves had beat them to it.

6:32 PM, December 13, 2005  
Blogger The OCC said...

In the minors they call the award for best defensive player "The Steel Mitten." Seriously, look it up.

8:17 AM, December 14, 2005  
Blogger jimmyrad said...

I refuse to believe that.

10:55 AM, December 14, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home