June 26, 2006

Josh Boone, Super Sized

Was sitting at Gate H10 of O'Hare International Airport in Chicago yesterday when I happened to catch a glimpse of a rather large figure sidle over and sit down at one of the nearby seats. The high-profile athlete meter planted in my brain immediately began to whir and it wasn't long before it spat out the name of Josh Boone. Yes, there he was, the former UConn forward and soon-to-be NBA draft pick, preparing to fly to New York for Wednesday's draft, sporting his signature corn rows, a New Era Cincy Reds hat with the gold sticker still on the brim (complete with matching red do-rag and red felt sweats), a baggy white T with red trim on the collar, and a long silver chain with a medallion (couldn't see what it said).

Perhaps most notably, you'll be glad to know, Knicks fans (I've heard rumors NY is thinking of taking him in the late first round), that in the midst of switching back and forth between his cell phone/two-way and MP3 player, Boone was absolutely ripping into a bag of McDonald's. And yes, I understand that this doesn't necessarily mean he eats McD's every single meal, and even the most virtuous eaters among us occasionally fall off the wagon and stumble into the arch-lit glow of America's most deadly eating establishment for a grease-laden bender that provides momentary satisfaction almost immediately giving way to regret. So I can sympathize with Boone's choice (I myself went with the only slightly less dubious Manchu Wok), but it's tough not to extrapolate a tad bit about his regular diet when the one and only time you see a guy not on the basketball court he's lighting into a quarter pounder, large soda and fries. I can't say for certain, but I'm just guessing Josh, though he certainly looked the part of pro athlete yesterday, has yet to get on board with the en vogue concept of hiring a personal chef.

I'm pretty sure no one else at the gate recognized Boone, as the majority of the people at the gate inexplicably seemed to be middle-aged women and men wearing clothes that suggested they'd never picked up and thrown anything in their lives. I asked the guy sitting next to me if he was a hoops fan and pointed out Boone but he clearly had no idea who he was. So, Josh, you almost got away with it, but you weren't counting on The OCC being on the case. Now your secret is out -- you're a fast food fanatic!

(Of course, I could be convinced to keep this quiet if you passed along one of those nifty two-way phones...)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anyone who references Manchu Wok is okay in my book.

12:20 PM, June 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home