August 01, 2005

A 'Worth While Acquisition

After months of hype and speculation, the MLB trade deadline ended like a squishy, half-second long fart yesterday -- fast and anticlimactic, with the end result something you don't necessarily want to look at. But in my mind there was one very noteworthy trade -- my hometown Bravos picked up hard-throwing country hardballer/behemoth Kyle Farnsworth from the Tigers.

This is a great baseball trade in my opinion -- Farnsworth has been known to hit 100 mph on the gun in the past and I'd be surprised if he's not closing games by the time the season's out -- but that's only a small reason I'm excited about it. All of his baseball skills aside, I'm thrilled with the Farnsworth acquisition because the man is unquestionably
the most exciting brawler in baseball and a true master of the body slam. I could not have put it any better than The Atlanta Journal-Constitution did today: "If a fight breaks out, the Braves have a new point man." Honestly, I'm not sure if you've ever seen Farnsworth in action when the gloves come off, but it's pretty remarkable. In 2003 he made mincemeat of Reds' pitcher Paul Wilson, and earlier this year he supplexed Royals' hurler Jeremy Affeldt. Honestly, I'm excited about seeing Farnsworth pitch and all, but I'm really hoping the Braves will get in one good solid brawl before the season's out so we can see Farnsworth at his best one more time.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see that you're back in business... As for Farnsworth, you're absolutely right. He's probably the first goon in the history of major league baseball, which is kind of refreshing. I'll never tire of seeing highlights of those two pancakes you mentioned. Great stuff.

2:16 AM, August 03, 2005  
Blogger jimmyrad said...

Hopefully, the Braves can now do what all the fans have wanted to do for the past 3 monthes:

Stuff candy down Dan Kolb's throat and beat him with sticks until he bursts like a pinata. Fun for the whole family.

12:10 PM, August 03, 2005  
Blogger The OCC said...

Ahh, the old "candy down the throat and beating with a stick." I think the last Braves' reliever to receive that treatment was Greg McMichael...

6:54 PM, August 03, 2005  
Blogger jimmyrad said...

Jim Leyritz got that treatment from a hoard of ATL fans, as well. That's what I heard, and when was the last time you saw Jim Leyritz to proove me wrong?

10:30 AM, August 04, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home